If you’re new to reading Oracle Cards please check out the first three videos in this series. I cover what the difference between Oracle Cards and Tarot Cards are in Part 1. Part 2, I cover How to Pick the Right Oracle Deck and in Part 3, I share some of my recommendations for Oracle Decks that you may want to add to your collection.
The only requirement that you have to follow part 4, if that you have chosen your oracle deck. Here are the steps for carrying out your Oracle card reading.
1. Pick Your Oracle Deck
Part 1,2 and 3 cover this process, so check the links above.
2. Formulating Your Question
Think about what you want to ask the oracle cards. Your question can be specific or general, but it should be open-ended rather than a yes/no question. For example, instead of asking, “Will I get the job?” you might ask, “What can I do to improve my chances of getting the job?” or “What should I know about my current job search?”
3. Shuffling the Cards
As you hold the deck in your hands, focus on your question and shuffle the cards in whatever way feels right to you. Some people like to shuffle until they feel it’s time to stop, while others shuffle a specific number of times. Trust your intuition to guide you.
4. Drawing the Cards
Once you feel ready, draw the number of cards that feels appropriate for your question. This could be a single card for a simple insight or several cards for a more detailed reading. Lay the cards out in front of you in the order you draw them.
5. Interpreting the Cards
Take a moment to look at the cards you’ve drawn. Pay attention to the images, the colors, and any words or numbers on the cards. Notice your immediate emotional reaction to the cards. What thoughts or feelings do they bring up for you? Read the guidebook that comes with your deck for the creator’s interpretation of the cards, but also trust your own intuition. What do the cards mean to you personally? How do they relate to your question?
6. Reflecting on the Reading
After interpreting the cards, spend some time reflecting on the reading. How does the message of the cards apply to your life? What new insights have you gained? Is there an action you need to take or a perspective you need to consider? You can also consult the guidebook that comes with your oracle deck to help you interpret and reflect on the reading.
7. Closing the Reading
Once you have finished your reflection, take a moment to thank the oracle cards and the universe for the guidance you’ve received. Clear the cards by knocking on them or waving them through the smoke of sage or incense. This helps to release any energy the cards have absorbed during the reading.
Multipurpose Oracle Card Spread
1. Current Energy – This card represents the present energy surrounding you.
2. You in the Current Energy – How you’re affecting or being affected by the energy in the present.
3. Challenge/Blockage – The second card identifies the immediate challenge or blockage that is hindering your progress.
4. Guidance/Action – The third card offers guidance or suggests an action you need to take to overcome the challenge identified by the second card.
5. Potential Outcome – The fourth and final card gives you a glimpse of the potential outcome based on the current trajectory and if you follow the guidance provided.